Meet David Metcalf

18:25
Meet David Metcalf - David Metcalf

Meet David Metcalf, aka Dave Dayak, a photographer and writer whose passion for Indonesia returns to the people he photographed and loves

David, how you began your Indonesian history?
Well, I lived in 00 to 05 working for UPS back in Jakarta and had worked for 20 years for them. I loved Jakarta! I had this passion for photography, but it was very much a hobby at the time and I would all travel to different parts of Indonesia. The kids were younger then we should let the children, they throw on the plane and we would go! I still photos. I have a few exhibitions and some calendars produced, which we sold to raise money for charity.

When my time came to an end on this assignment, we were seriously thinking about moving to Bali, but the children were still young, so we decided for another year, for five of New Zealand Brisbane followed. Really, since I left Jakarta, I wanted to keep coming back to Indonesia.

What is it that you wanted to come back?
I just fell in love with the country really; I loved it. I am very interested in indigenous cultures, and I have just had the most beautiful hikes and times, and I love the people. Wherever we went, people were very nice everywhere. So when the children grew up and left school, it was always to get a plan of mine; not only do photography, but to engage with the community and give something back. I'm not here to live in some beautiful villa in Seminyak and do not connect with the people. This has always been an important part of my thinking.

Why did you live in Ubud and Seminyak not, for example?
Since Ubud is the cultural center of Bali. If you are interested in culture, this is the place to be, there is no comparison. There is no culture in Seminyak or down this way; it is free of Balinese culture. It's so alive. I have a lot of hinterland explored, roads and, in the villages and it's like thousands of years ago; nothing has changed, which is just wonderful.

David 'Dayak Dave' Metcalf

David 'Dayak Dave Metcalf

We have a private villa for rent mentioned in Ubud Villa Damee and we right next to a village. If you want to embrace their way of life, the people are so happy to welcome you to their culture. I have been very privileged and I am invited to the celebrations and I have seen all sorts of amazing things, from mass cremations and bone dig ceremonies trance. I have seen things that I do not explain all.

How the idea of ​​your photograph to start tours began?
I did not know what to do with my photography passion, and I went to a workshop in Queenstown, New Zealand with two very good photographer, Jackie Ranken and Michael Langford, and I thought, why not Photography tours to organize in Bali and Indonesia? I asked if they are keen to get involved and they were very interested. So I organized the first in September 2012. I Mark Rayner addressed, which is a stunning photograph of a teacher and never left Australia, and we have the first tour in November, which was really successful. We had tours in Kalimantan, Bali, India and America and this year Sri Lanka is on the agenda and the islands east of Bali on a luxury boat. Even the fantastic Toko Festival in North East India!

How much would a two-week photography tour again?
. For the orangutan trip, the eight nights, it is $ 3,0 and that includes just about everything It is good value because it includes domestic transfers, the boat on the river, the teacher and accommodation.

Do you do shorter trips as well?
Yes, I have a half-day and day tours in Bali that will appeal more to the local photographer. These are specifically to Ubud and to special ceremonies.

What if someone feels a bit intimidated, but wants to join?
You are very welcome and we will make sure of this. We have beginner Canberra had, who had only just bought a camera before they boarded the plane, they were beginners. It is very much open to everyone.

If you do these tours, as the locals react to you?
They are curious and they always come and ask what's going on. You're just as interested in us as we in them. That's the other thing that is very strong on my trips that I take people to non-places, so most of the time there is no other foreigner ever. People come here for photography, and we have that, but they go away with a much deeper experience, and they want to get involved and give something back to the community.

Indonesia's Hidden Heritage Book Cover

Indonesia's Hidden Heritage book Cover

Your book, Indonesia Hidden Heritage is an amazing photography book that your wife Stephanie Brookes with their stories brings alive. How long did it take to put this book together and what were your drives to complete it?
The book was a 12-month project. We visited 12 different locations in this time, the stories and photos to create. Six of the stories are from me and six are Stephanie.

The drive was to be found in search of interesting cultural stories and photograph the desire, the people and the beauty of Indonesia.

What do you feel, this book brings to the table?
The 0-page book mainly tend photos and stories to personal experiences that we while attending ceremonies had, visiting villages hidden and the connection with the many interesting indigenous cultures of this extraordinary country. I hope it inspires people to jump on a plane or ship, and in the book some of places to visit. There is a section in the "Cultural Connections" with emails and contact phone numbers of good, reliable local guide recalled, which makes it easy to travel for the people of these cities. There is nothing on the shelves quite like this book, we hope that people read it and learn more about the amazing diversity of people living in some of these thousands of islands.

What do you have planned for the future, David?
There are plans to open later in a photo gallery in Ubud. I have to start to introduce with foreign and local photographers talents a photo festival in Ubud next year. But my main goals at the moment are two environmental and health programs in the villages in Central Kalimantan and Flores, and a documentary about a journey that I am doing in Central Borneo in August, to raise awareness about Dayak culture and environment. My photography is really creating all about awareness, hopefully to keep inspiring people to get involved and to improve the lives of Indonesians, and the importance of the environment.

You can get a copy of David and Stephanie book or. About his photography tours in www.davidmetcalfphotography.com You can also buy his book in most nationwide bookstores are available.

If anyone is interested in learning more about David educational and health programs in Kalimantan, out or help in some way, please direct it to an e-mail davidmetcalf3@mac.com or phone: 081 113 312 55

Previous
Next Post »
0 Komentar