The Thin Light Blue Line

11:18
The Thin Light Blue Line - Demilitarized Zone - DMZ
Demilitarized Zone - DMZ

Demilitarized Zone (DMZ)

There are a number of things I should all believe do before they (unlike "cry for help", as the great Jimmy Carr once said) die. I will not bore you with my personal bucket list, but I'll tell you something that I did recently, that as soon "recommended" to my list jumped up like I did.

I was in Seoul, South Korea a few weeks placed on a business trip and after the completion of our business, my partner there for me to visit the Demilitarized Zone (DMZ). I had heard of the place, and I have always been interested in the Second World War, so after she told me where to go I was very pleased and fascinated, and I must admit, a little excited. I know that the purists among you now, "the Korean War is not part of the Second World War" thinking, but I would argue that it is. And you will find that the purists and I refer to the Korean War in the present tense, because North and South Korea have been in ceasefire only since 1953, as now the war is actually go - and there are many deadly border skirmishes since entered the official ceasefire in force.

most purists will say that the Korean War is the last battle of the Cold War, not the Second World War, but since the Cold War is in fact the last battle of World War II (the Russians was only the surrendered enemy immediately after Germany and Japan), I would argue that the Korean war is the last battle of world war II and it is still ongoing. And since the Second World War was effectively a continuation of World War I, what to see in the DMZ one is real, living history, a part of one of the vast and bloody battles that have shaped our world.

North Korean and South Korean soldiers stare at each other across the border at the DMZ 24 hours a day. On the south side, soldiers of the army of the Republic of Korea (ROK) are supported visibly by the UN in the form of US Marines. On the north side soldiers of the army of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) are supported by the Chinese invisible, but much more ominous. Before you go in, warn the tour guide not to show the North Korean soldiers, because they are a bit jumpy and may think you are showing a kind of gun at them. They warn you not to wave at them because apparently photographed the North Koreans everything, and they were known photographs of people towards North Korea to use as propaganda wave in their country to prove their people that Westerners envy them and want to be communicate them.

But the most amazing part of the DMZ tour is inside, what to relate it as the JSA or Joint Security Area. Within this zone there is a light blue (UN dyed) hut with a conference table inside. The official border between North and South Korea operates the center of this table down and alternately control the two armies the hut. Tours from the South to work only on days when the ROK Army in control is, of course, so during the visit, you can go to the table and actually set foot in North Korea - to have done something that can not be many people claim. While you are there, the astonishingly disciplined (and patient) soldiers of the ROK still live on guard in the hut by standing so their acronym that I actually had to look very closely to make sure that they were real people or statues. Although I had been previously prepared for this confusion on the day somewhat by a life-size statue to ask just outside the gift shop for directions to the toilet.

If you ever get the chance to go there, finish your tour with a visit to the invasion tunnel, discovered the South Koreans in 1974, 1975, 1978 and 190. These tunnels were by the North Koreans under the DMZ built and were intended to go all the way to Seoul with the sole (sorry) take provision of capital by force. The ROK government believes that there may be many more tunnels, as yet undiscovered, and has spent a lot of money for very sensitive underground audio system. To make it, how sensitive is clearly the rest of the border, each visitor will be asked to sign a waiver before the DMZ entry to say that they made no one to blame if they are injured or killed or captured by the North Koreans while on site. You do not need to sign, but if you do not you will not be allowed. Report it.

Previous
Next Post »
0 Komentar